By Rody L. Johnson
"A interesting recounting of the early discovery of a Paleolithic human and the problems that have been engendered by means of numerous opposing clinical perspectives of the validity of the invention and its analysis."--Dennis Stanford, coauthor of Across Atlantic Ice: The beginning of America's Clovis Culture
"Since the site's discovery some time past, the entire tale of the previous Vero web site hasn't ever been told.
This is an informative and enjoyable account of this outstanding website and its historical past in American archaeology."--Thomas D. Dillehay, writer of The cost of the Americas: a brand new Prehistory
"Johnson has completely investigated, and reworked right into a very readable narrative, a whole century of collected wisdom concerning the learn, controversy, and interest surrounding the outdated Vero archaeological site."--Barbara A. Purdy, writer of Florida's humans over the last Ice Age
"An enticing account of the 1st Paleoindian web site found in jap North America."--Robert S. Carr, writer of Digging Miami
"Johnson skillfully weaves a story of prehistoric existence in Florida with the 100-year seek to appreciate that lengthy misplaced international on the Vero Site."--Andy Hemmings, Florida Atlantic University
In 1916, to the surprise of the medical neighborhood and the area at huge, a Florida geologist stumbled on human is still combined with the bones of prehistoric animals in a Vero seashore canal and proclaimed that people had lived in North the United States because the Ice Age. those new findings via Elias Sellards flew within the face of triumphing knowledge, which held that people first got here to the continent in basic terms 6,000 years in the past. His declare used to be snubbed by means of the head scientists of his day, he was once laughed out of the kingdom, Vero's repute declined, and the cranium Sellards found--famously often called "Vero guy "--was lost.
An Ice Age Mystery tells the tale of Sellards's intriguing locate and the debate it sparked. within the years that undefined, different archaeological discoveries and the increase of radiocarbon courting validated that people did arrive in North the United States ahead of formerly inspiration. The cranium, although, was once by no means recovered, and plenty of humans started to ask yourself: What precisely had Sellards came across at Vero? And what else will be buried there?
One hundred years after the 1st Vero discovery, building plans threatened to hide up the mythical dig web site, and a band of voters and archaeologists protested. Excavations have been reopened. Archaeologists exposed 14,000-year-old burnt mammal bones and charcoal, indicators of a human presence, and located additional proof to point a continual human career of the location for numerous thousand years. sooner than the most recent excavations an etching on a bone probably 13,000 years outdated was once came across which may be the oldest piece of paintings in the US. Sellards were correct all along.
Many questions nonetheless stay. Who have been those humans? the place did they arrive from? and the way did they get the following? This publication attracts readers into the prior, current, and way forward for some of the most old discoveries in American archaeology.
Read or Download An Ice Age Mystery: Unearthing the Secrets of the Old Vero Site PDF
Best archaeology books
Drawing on Kent Flannery's 40 years of cross-cultural examine within the zone, the members to this assortment mirror the present variety of latest methods to the examine of cultural evolutionary techniques. jointly the quantity expresses the richness of the problems being investigated by way of comparative theorists in long term switch, in addition to the big variety of knowledge, ways, and concepts that researchers are utilising to check those questions.
* A cultural pilgrimage in addition to an athletic one* tale blends own event, middle-aged angst, the great thing about a panorama, heritage of exploration, and mysteries of the increase and fall of an historic tradition* via a seriously acclaimed go back and forth and experience author additionally recognized for his exploits in Alaska's mountains* comprises photographs by way of Greg baby of the panorama, Anasazi and Navajo ruins and rock artwork On September 1, 2004, 3 middle-aged associates set out on one of many final geographic demanding situations by no means ahead of tried in North the United States: to hike the brush Ridge in a single non-stop push.
First released in 1989. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
First released in 1998. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
- A History of Egypt from the End of the Neolithic Period to the Death of Cleopatra VII B.C. 30 (Routledge Revivals): Vol. VIII: Egypt Under the Ptolemies and Cleopatra VII: 8
- Landscape of the Mind: Human Evolution and the Archeology of Thought
- Handbook of Middle American Indians, Volume 1: Natural Environment and Early Cultures
- Archaeological Theory Today
- The History of Archaeology: An Introduction
- First Settlement of Remote Oceania: Earliest Sites in the Mariana Islands: 1 (SpringerBriefs in Archaeology)
Additional resources for An Ice Age Mystery: Unearthing the Secrets of the Old Vero Site