By Michael Waldman
"Waldman's booklet is a name to fingers, which every body who cares approximately our democratic approach may still learn, soak up, debate, after which use as a signpost for change."
- Doris Kearns Goodwin
"With Thomas Paine's present for amazing brevity, Michael Waldman tells us precisely what is wrong with our democracy and precisely how one can repair it within the time it takes to observe a movie."
- Jonathan regulate, Newsweek, writer of The Defining Moment
IMAGINE AN the US during which an enormous variety of humans generally vote; the place balloting is straightforward, available to all, and reasonable; during which campaigns recognize they can't win by means of dividing slivers of the citizens, yet by means of energizing huge numbers at the back of their plans and ideas.
This the US is Seven Steps Away.
A go back to logic presents the Brennan heart document at the most important flaws in our present democratic procedure and the daring reforms that might revitalize our nation.
- End Voter Registration as we all know It
- Fix digital Voting
- Increase Voter Turnout
- Campaign Finance Reform
- End Partisan Gerrymandering
- End the Electoral College
- Curb the Imperial Presidency and connect Congress
A go back to good judgment is a passionate demand switch, a street map for restoring the imaginative and prescient of the Founding Fathers and renewing the nice spirit of the US the place the folks run the govt. and the govt. works for the folk.
"Seven eminently functional feedback that lower to the center of ways politics really works during this kingdom— and that promise reforms which can truly work."
- Sean Wilentz, Princeton college, writer of The upward push of yankee Democracy
"Michael Waldman's publication is a clarion demand reinvigorating voter participation and different key elements of our democracy."
- consultant John Conyers, Jr., member of Congress
Read Online or Download A Return to Common Sense: Seven Bold Ways to Revitalize Democracy PDF
Similar practical politics books
Handwringing approximately political apathy is as previous as democracy itself. As early as 425 BC, the playwright Aristophanes ridiculed his fellow Athenians for gossiping out there rather than vote casting. in additional fresh many years, demands higher civic engagement as a democratic cure-all have met with common contract.
Protest, Reform and Repression in Khrushchev's Soviet Union explores the character of political protest within the USSR in the course of the decade following the demise of Stalin. utilizing resources drawn from the data of the Soviet Procurator's workplace, the Communist occasion, the Komsomol and in different places, Hornsby examines the emergence of underground teams, mass riots and public assaults on authority in addition to the ways that the Soviet regime lower than Khrushchev considered and spoke back to those demanding situations, together with deeper KGB penetration of society and using labour camps and psychiatric repression.
James Madison is the philosopher so much liable for laying the basis of the yankee advertisement republic. yet he didn't count on that the propertied category on which he relied may turn into terribly politically strong whilst its pursuits narrowed. This and different flaws, argues Stephen L.
Treating rhetoric and logos as important instead of peripheral to politics, Lisa Wedeen’s groundbreaking e-book deals a compelling counterargument to those that insist that politics is basically approximately fabric pursuits and the teams advocating for them. through the thirty-year rule of President Hafiz al-Asad’s regime, his photo was once far and wide.
- Lone Star Tarnished: A Critical Look at Texas Politics and Public Policy
- After the Revolution: Gender and Democracy in El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Guatemala: Gender and Democracy in El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala
- Politics and the Street in Democratic Athens
- Beyond the Regulatory Polity?: The European Integration of Core State Powers
- Deutsche Außenpolitik: Von 1945 bis zur Gegenwart (Beck'sche Reihe) (German Edition)
- Eine Demokratie haben wir schon lange nicht mehr: Abschied von einer Illusion (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Return to Common Sense: Seven Bold Ways to Revitalize Democracy